Tuesday 31 January 2012

"A Work In Progress"

Yesterday was a good day. A day when the term 'value for money' was re-defined. Sophie and I saw Michael McIntyre perform new material for about an hour and a half and managed to eat dinner before the show for the grand total of £18 pounds (I made sure my maths was correct before uploading this time). £18 pounds for two tickets, and two steak baguettes. Amazing. What made it more exceptional was that our seats from Michael McIntyre were front and centre due to keenness on my behalf (we only queued for 15 minutes before anyone else). Him and I had eye contact during his show, and I can honestly say I have never felt more vulnerable or exposed in all my life!

It is always interesting when you see celebrities in real life, especially when you see them as close up as Sophie and I did yesterday, purely because it is easy to forget that he is just a person (albeit a very funny one), and not just an image from inside the T.V. In fact his humanity, and modesty took me by surprise, as when I think of his comedic styling, I tend to think of a comedian whose material is highly polished and very slick. Yesterdays show titled 'A Work In Progress' was not the finished article. Not at all. The first thing he told us was that he had no idea if he would be funny, as due to the fact his show was still 6 months away, he was under prepared and that his work tonight was not representative of his best (quite frankly Newcastle United's last 2 performances should have come with a similar warning). But that was not the case. He was hilarious. Within minutes he had the audience in stitches, however, it wasn't his new and slightly un-refined jokes that did the most damage, but his improv. The way he dealt with people was incredible. The speed at which stand-up comedians must think to deal with hecklers is sensational!

Now I am sure you are all aware with Michael McIntyre and his comedic genius, and a review by myself will do nothing to increase his already fantastic reputation, yet I feel credit should be given when credit is due. Michael McIntyre, you are a funny funny man, and after last night I am already looking forward to October, when I am seeing him perform once again, this time at the 02!

PER

No comments:

Post a Comment