Thursday 23 February 2012

What am I giving up for lent??

"Remember two years ago when you tried to give up alcohol for lent?" This was a text message I received a few days ago, and yes. Yes  I do. I lasted 30 minutes before caving in. It would be fair to suggest it was the least impressive display of willpower I know of, but this year I shall do no such thing!

Why should I even give up anything? I am not religious, and although I like chocolate at Easter, and presents at Christmas (and I loved the pancakes I had on Tuesday night) I feel no need to give up anything to mimic Jesus in the wilderness. In fact I find the whole concept of giving up something for lent incredibly negative! I am very happy with my life, so instead of giving something up, I am going to take on an activity. Twice a week outside of hockey I am going to go out running. A little bit of extra fitness never hurt anyone, and I have been looking for an excuse to get out running again, so what better time than now!

So this year, instead of giving something up, make a change for the better and try something new!

PER

No comments:

Post a Comment